Chocolate Chia Silk





Here’s a no guilt way to get your chocolate mousse fix using chia seeds. This is thicker than regular chia pudding because the coconut fat and lecithin form a mousse-like texture that is to live for. Silk is the best way to describe it. I don't know why I made this only 2 servings because I can eat it in one sitting, so go ahead and double the recipe. If you like a dark chocolate mousse (like I do) then add a bit more cacao. I originally made this as a detox friendly dessert for my book Raw & Simple Detox, but I've been eating it for breakfast on a regular basis for over a year. It's raw, vegan, paleo friendly and really satisfying as well as full of great nutrition. Let me know how you like it in the comments!

Note: This doesn’t work as well with store bought coconut milk beverage as the fat content is too low to give it the silky texture. Use my Coconut Milk version. I promise it'll be awesome. 

Chocolate Chia Silk
Makes 2 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 4-6 hours or more to set
Plan Ahead: You will need 1 cup of Coconut Milk Beverage

2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
2 tablespoons xylitol granules*
Few drops liquid stevia to taste*
2 tablespoons lecithin powder or granules
Dash of vanilla powder or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup chia seeds

Optional Toppings
Chopped nuts
Bananas
Berries
Process coconut milk, cacao powder, sweetener, lecithin, and vanilla in a blender. Transfer to a small bowl and add chia seeds. Mix well and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Stir again to remove lumps and then pour into two individual ramekins or small mason jars. Place in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or until all liquid is absorbed and begins to set.

Top with cacao nibs, chopped nuts, bananas, or berries if desired.

*For this low glycemic dessert, I like to use both xylitol and stevia. You can substitute with another sweetener if you prefer. 

Copyright 2015 Quarry Books


7 comments:

Carolyn Kirkman said...

Would dates work as a sweetener? This sounds divine! Another way to get me hubby to eat a little healthier.

Judita Wignall said...

Hmm, it might get too thick with dates and lose the mousse like texture.

Jocelyn said...

Sounds and looks so delicious! Would this work with sunflower lecithin liquid (instead of powder)?

Judita Wignall said...

Jocelyn, I haven't tried it with liquid lecithin, but powder form is almost always used for culinary uses. The liquid form is normally used as a dietary supplement, but I guess you never know unless you try it! :)

Anonymous said...

I've been adding in chaga an maca and turning this into a great pre-workout breakfast! It powers me through my run, but doesn't sit in my stomach. Love it! I've also made a carob version for the afternoon.

Judita Wignall said...

That's awesome, Vanessa!

Anonymous said...

Tasty, but I'm not sure if I understood the directions correctly. My batch came out like tapioca mousse.

Your directions say, "Process coconut milk, cacao powder, sweetener, lecithin, and vanilla in a blender. Transfer to a small bowl and add chia seeds. Mix well and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Stir again to remove lumps and then pour into two individual ramekins or small mason jars."

I did the first step in my Vitamix. When you say 'mix well' does that mean the ingredients are supposed to go back into the blender? Otherwise, how is this supposed to be mousse-like when the chia seeds give it that tapioca consistency?

Recent Posts

 

Subscribe

Twitter Updates

About

Recipes, articles and musings of Judita Wignall. All info is for educational purposes and is not meant to diagnose or treat any medical conditions.